The award-winning Shaker Heights High School student news organization

The Shakerite

Relax! It’s Root Beer

For today's senior prank, the keg looked real, but the beverages were school-appropriate

A cup filled with root beer and bearing the Yuengling beer label sits on the table near a game of “root beer pong” May 5, 2014.

Will McKnight

Will McKnight

It really was just root beer.

Senior prank week, although not a school-sanctioned event, nevertheless began today before school at the vacant lot across the street from the North Gym parking lot. Seniors set up what appeared to be a college-worthy keg party on the lot, with music, lawn chairs, red Solo cups, ping pong balls for root beer pong and a keg labeled “lager” but dispensing only root beer.

The lot once featured a house but has been vacant for three years since the home was foreclosed upon and torn down. The grassy lot is now owned by neighbors.

Photos by Will McKnight

A sign titled “Root beer only, only” tells bystanders and the high school that the senior prank, representing a college fraternity party does not feature alcohol May 5, 2014. The prank was set up in a vacant lot across from the North Gym parking lot. The lot is owned by Shaker parents.

Seniors Jacob Herbst and Nick Adamson pose for a picture next to a keg filled with root beer May 5, 2014.

Seniors Nick Adamson and Jacob Herbst pose for a picture next to a keg filled with root beer May 5, 2014.

Senior Jacob Herbst throws the ping pong ball May 5, 2014.

Signs posted on trees beside Onaway Road tell passersby that the senior prank does not involve alcohol May 5, 2014.

Seniors Jacob Herbst and Nick Adamson play “root beer pong” during their senior prank at an Onaway Road property during first period May 5, 2014.

Comment using your Facebook, Yahoo, AOL or Hotmail account

1 Comment

One Response to “Relax! It’s Root Beer”

1. Leo Izen on May 12th, 2014 10:58 pm

People should know that it’s not a lager, because lagers are light-colored. If they wanted to fool people it should have said “Ale.”

[Reply]

Comment above using your Facebook, Yahoo, AOL or Hotmail account. If you don't have an account with any of these websites, you can comment below with your full name and a valid email address.

*

• Relax! It’s Root Beer

TOP STORIES

Middle School Employee Placed on Paid Administrative Leave

• Relax! It’s Root Beer

SPOTLIGHT

New Stages 35 Enlightens, Excites and Surprises

• Relax! It’s Root Beer

TOP STORIES

Questions Remain in Mitchell Investigation

• Relax! It’s Root Beer

CAMPUS & CITY

Travel Ban Impacts Worthing Exchange

• Relax! It’s Root Beer

OPINION

One Size Does NOT Fit All

• Relax! It’s Root Beer

CAMPUS & CITY

Shaker Heights Maintains Restroom Practice, Not Policy

• Relax! It’s Root Beer

RAIDERZONE

Shaker Diver Reaches New Heights

• Relax! It’s Root Beer

TOP STORIES

“Objectively/Reasonable” Promises to Spark Community Discussion

• Relax! It’s Root Beer

TOP STORIES

Teacher Placed on Paid Administrative Leave

• Relax! It’s Root Beer

TOP STORIES

Relax! It’s Root Beer