The award-winning Shaker Heights High School student news organization

The Shakerite

Relax! It’s Root Beer

For today's senior prank, the keg looked real, but the beverages were school-appropriate

A cup filled with root beer and bearing the Yuengling beer label sits on the table near a game of “root beer pong” May 5, 2014.

Will McKnight

Will McKnight

It really was just root beer.

Senior prank week, although not a school-sanctioned event, nevertheless began today before school at the vacant lot across the street from the North Gym parking lot. Seniors set up what appeared to be a college-worthy keg party on the lot, with music, lawn chairs, red Solo cups, ping pong balls for root beer pong and a keg labeled “lager” but dispensing only root beer.

The lot once featured a house but has been vacant for three years since the home was foreclosed upon and torn down. The grassy lot is now owned by neighbors.

Photos by Will McKnight

A sign titled “Root beer only, only” tells bystanders and the high school that the senior prank, representing a college fraternity party does not feature alcohol May 5, 2014. The prank was set up in a vacant lot across from the North Gym parking lot. The lot is owned by Shaker parents.

Seniors Jacob Herbst and Nick Adamson pose for a picture next to a keg filled with root beer May 5, 2014.

Seniors Nick Adamson and Jacob Herbst pose for a picture next to a keg filled with root beer May 5, 2014.

Senior Jacob Herbst throws the ping pong ball May 5, 2014.

Signs posted on trees beside Onaway Road tell passersby that the senior prank does not involve alcohol May 5, 2014.

Seniors Jacob Herbst and Nick Adamson play “root beer pong” during their senior prank at an Onaway Road property during first period May 5, 2014.

Comment using your Facebook, Yahoo, AOL or Hotmail account

1 Comment

One Response to “Relax! It’s Root Beer”

1. Leo Izen on May 12th, 2014 10:58 pm

People should know that it’s not a lager, because lagers are light-colored. If they wanted to fool people it should have said “Ale.”

[Reply]

Comment above using your Facebook, Yahoo, AOL or Hotmail account. If you don't have an account with any of these websites, you can comment below with your full name and a valid email address.

*

• Relax! It’s Root Beer

LIFESTYLE

To Be Honest, Shaker

• Relax! It’s Root Beer

SPOTLIGHT

Shaker Student Shines in Singing Competition

• Relax! It’s Root Beer

SPOTLIGHT

Writing Center Calls for Sticky Note Memoirs

• Relax! It’s Root Beer

SPOTLIGHT

Helping Students Bring Science and Art Together

• Relax! It’s Root Beer

SPOTLIGHT

Shaker’s International Relations Take Center Stage

• Relax! It’s Root Beer

LIFESTYLE

Making Homecoming About Coming Home

• Relax! It’s Root Beer

SPOTLIGHT

Shaker Artists Leave Their Marks

• Relax! It’s Root Beer

SPOTLIGHT

America Put Him in the Boy Band

• Relax! It’s Root Beer

SPOTLIGHT

Setting the Stage

• Relax! It’s Root Beer

SPOTLIGHT

Moving From Malignancy to Benevolence

Relax! It’s Root Beer