The award-winning Shaker Heights High School student news organization

The Shakerite

The Shakerite

The Shakerite

Country Club Fireworks Surprise Shaker Residents

After forgoing its traditional Fourth of July fireworks display, Shaker Heights Country Club held a July 6 fireworks show — unannounced to the public.

The fireworks, coming only two days after the Fourth of July, surprised Shaker residents, considering the club had previously stated it would not hold a show this summer.

A post on the Shaker Heights Country Club’s Facebook page from July 2 states, “Due to community safety concerns, the Club will not be having fireworks this year.”

“When the city of Shaker Heights cancelled its annual 4th of July fireworks show this year due to community safety concerns, Shaker Heights Country Club decided to support that decision by cancelling the traditional fireworks display at the Club,” General Manager Andrew Tuzzeo stated in an email interview. “This decision was especially difficult during our centennial year!”

Tuzzeo stated that the July 6 fireworks were not inherently related to the decision to cancel Fourth of July fireworks. “One of our Members had their own anniversary party; celebrating many years of marriage,” Tuzzeo wrote. “The finale of their celebration included their own fireworks display.”

“As it was a private event and our Members’ privacy is paramount, the membership as a whole was not invited,” Tuzzeo wrote.

Despite the event being private, Shaker residents near the country club were able to see the surprise display. “I had heard Warrensville Heights was having their fireworks display that night,” rising senior Jacob Herbst stated. “When I looked out the window and could see fireworks, I knew they had to be coming from a closer place than Warrensville Heights.”

Earlier this summer, the city of Shaker Heights announced it would not hold its usual fireworks at Shaker Middle School in 2013, citing safety concerns and rising costs.

Tuzzeo made sure that safety concerns would not be an issue for the July 6 fireworks. “Local authorities were aware of the display and were on property during the event to ensure a safe environment,” Tuzzeo wrote.

You can read The Shakerite’s coverage of the cancellation of the city fireworks here.

Comment using your Facebook, Yahoo, AOL or Hotmail account

comments